Sunday, April 26, 2009

Simply the Best

Perhaps One of my Favorite Passages in All of Our Books


"It is in her voice - I cannot say precisely how it is in her voice - the music of humanity at peace with time, and with the earth, and with mortality. In places where this book breathes more deeply as it tells a story, or when it makes a point in the half-said way of the storyteller, that is where the spirit of a distinguished teacher and teller of myth is present." Kane, p. 24

I don't know why but this passage just struck me. I am unsure whether it is in the way Kane expressed this idea or whether it is the actual point he is making about the storyteller. Whichever it is, the idea of her voice as music and the books breathing is in its simplest form as beautiful as the picture I have chosen to accompany it. There is nothing more beautiful than children gathered around a teacher or storyteller anticipating her first breath that sings the story and breathes life into the book she is reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment